My Photo
Name:
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

I am an avid book reader. I prefer to read books by Indian authors or books set in India. I am also very interested in the Hindu religion/philosophy, so I do quite a bit of reading in that area. I also enjoy attending my local Hindu temple. It is so beautiful there, and the people are so gracious. They also serve delicious food. It is served with such love it is a joy to partake. I also am a real armchair traveller, so travel literature is a real favorite . I have also become a practising Buddhist, so I do a tremendous amount of studying, which I love. I enjoy going to my local Buddhist temple for study and meditation. Just to walk into the shrine room and see the beautiful serene statue of Buddha is very calming. I am also attending Yoga classes regularly, which I enjoy very much.I am also trying to improve my meditation.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Orange Trees of Baghdad

'The Orange Trees of Baghdad is a stunning book . Leilah Nadir takes us with her in her quest to meet the members of her family whose lives have been uprooted by war."


This is a book that I found absolutely poignant to read. Without ever stepping onto Iraqi soil, Leilah Nadir, has captured the the sounds, sights and smells of Baghdad, she put me there. I could feel the agony her family experienced in seeing the country they love being torn apart by war. I could feel the heartache as her family watched their lives changing and unable to do any thing about it.

"Through her fathers memories, Leilah recounts her family's lost story, from Iraq at the turn of the twentieth century during the British occupation, to the Iraq-Iran War and the Gulf War. Through her cousins still living in Baghdad, she experiences the thunderous explosions of the present-day conflict, and Leilahs friend, award-winning photographer Farah Nosh, brings home news of Leilahs family after her visits to Iraq, as well as stunning photos of civilians and their often tragic stories".

I do urge everyone to read this book. I know I have had lot's of thoughts after putting this book down. My heart aches for the people of Iraq. Yes, times were bad under the rule of Saddam, but to see what is happening now...............I just place my hands together and bow my head in prayer for all those beautiful people of Iraq

4 Comments:

Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Sylvia, I will definitely have to read this book. YOur appreciation and enthusiasm for the novel just leaps out at me from your post, it will be a hard book to resist.

I'm glad I read your review.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

So pleased you will read this book Anjali, it is certainly one of the best books that I have read in quite a while. The pictures in the book are heart wrenching. The sad part is the comments from different family members who have had to leave Baghdad, all they want to do is to go back home and have their lives back. But that can never happen....so sad. It certainly made me say a prayer in thanks to be living in beautiful Canada.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Hi again Sylvia

Yes, it's true, Iraqis are now a displaced people and through no fault of their own. Recently I read an article that called them "The New Palestinians" because, like the Palestinians, the likelihood of them ever going back to their land is very remote. It is so sad. Many of them have had to flee to Jordan, Syria and Lebanon but those countries and their facilities (school,jobs,housing,health etc.) have already been pushed to the limit. Many Iraqi children in those countries don't even go to school. Are we going to see a generation of uneducated Iraqis emerge? There are so many real problems with displacement. How sad for the people. Again, thank you for your review, it has made me think.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

You are so right Anjali, unless we see some real progress within Iraq, we most certainly are going to see a whole new generation of uneducated Iraqis emerge. When you read the comments of the niece in "Orange" once the children are in a new country, particularly Europe, North America, the freedom and way of life is so hard for them to come to terms with. It is a sad, sad situation. It could have been handled so differently. But egos got in the way, and now the Iraqis are paying the ultimate price.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home