My Photo
Name:
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

I am an avid book reader. I prefer to read books by Indian authors or books set in India. I am also very interested in the Hindu religion/philosophy, so I do quite a bit of reading in that area. I also enjoy attending my local Hindu temple. It is so beautiful there, and the people are so gracious. They also serve delicious food. It is served with such love it is a joy to partake. I also am a real armchair traveller, so travel literature is a real favorite . I have also become a practising Buddhist, so I do a tremendous amount of studying, which I love. I enjoy going to my local Buddhist temple for study and meditation. Just to walk into the shrine room and see the beautiful serene statue of Buddha is very calming. I am also attending Yoga classes regularly, which I enjoy very much.I am also trying to improve my meditation.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Golden Age

Recently I read "A Golden Age" by Tahmima Anam. The story is set against the backdrop of the Bangladesh War of Independence. It tells the story of a family, and of a country on the brink of revolution, at a moment when all things seem possible. The opening line of the book caught me"Dear Husband, I lost our children today." From that moment on the book never let me go. It is the moving story of one woman's life during Bangladesh's War of Liberation, and the lengths to which one is willing to go for the people they love.
This is a must read.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

The first line is chilling. Thanks for sharing this.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

So few books have been written about Bangladesh's war that I truly treasure this one. I'm glad you described it as a must-read, Sylvia!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Beenzzz said...

You have a lovely blog here! I believe that "A Golden Age" is on my shelf as well. If not, I shall add it immediately!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Sanjay said...

Oh this is a good book! I heard excerpts of it (90 mins long) courtesy of BBC4. I am glad you liked it!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

Wow,90 minute excerpts.Thats a good amount. I really loved this book. Do read it if you get a chance, Sanjay

12:52 PM  
Blogger Happy Reader said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Happy Reader said...

I am adding this to my wishlist!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

Beenzzz,thanks for the lovely comment.Do read this book, I am sure you will love it.

Happy Reader, thanks for stopping by, glad you have added this amazing book to your wish list.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home