My Photo
Name:
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

I am an avid book reader. I prefer to read books by Indian authors or books set in India. I am also very interested in the Hindu religion/philosophy, so I do quite a bit of reading in that area. I also enjoy attending my local Hindu temple. It is so beautiful there, and the people are so gracious. They also serve delicious food. It is served with such love it is a joy to partake. I also am a real armchair traveller, so travel literature is a real favorite . I have also become a practising Buddhist, so I do a tremendous amount of studying, which I love. I enjoy going to my local Buddhist temple for study and meditation. Just to walk into the shrine room and see the beautiful serene statue of Buddha is very calming. I am also attending Yoga classes regularly, which I enjoy very much.I am also trying to improve my meditation.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Dalai Lama Visit



I am still enjoying the magic bubble I am encased in after attending the talk by His Holiness, who I am proud to say, is my spiritual leader. I relished every second spent in his company. It is an enormous privilege to be able to so, when so many of his followers in Tibet are denied this due to the Chinese, an invading force.

His Holiness is such an engaging person, when he speaks its as if he is speaking to you, and to you alone. On Sunday, I think there were close to 8 thousand people in attendance. He had each and everyone spellbound. His talk was very relaxed, at times humor filled.

He said ” the problems which we are facing, including Tibet, ultimately they are here, pointing to his heart, “First inner disarmament, then outer disarmament”. Despite all the atrocities committed by the Chinese upon his people, he is still an advocate of non-violence. He firmly believes that violent confrontation only heightens the violence. To me this makes perfect sense. How can peace prevail when it is forced upon another by violent means?

To me this was the highlight of my year; I cannot explain just how it enriches my life to hear his Holiness speak. I treasure his written word, and to hear him speak in person is just a wonder.

When he travels back to India, he will take with him yet again the love and respect so many Canadians have for him. I am so proud of our Prime Minister, meeting with His Holiness openly despite the insane drivel from Chinese authorities. I hope, under his breath Mr Harper was saying, "China, blow it out your ear".

Tashi Delek

6 Comments:

Blogger hellomelissa said...

amazing! thank you for sharing your experience of his vast wisdom.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

Thank you hellomelissa, it truly was an amazing experience. I feel so blessed to have been able to spend some time in his company. He is absolutely spellbinding to listen to.As he started to speak I could feel the aurora of calm and peace settling over me like a comfy warm blanket. Yes, I was teary eyed, pure happiness to be able to listen to his wonderful words of wisdom.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

hi, Sylvia!

I'm so glad you got to go listen to the Dalai Lama speak. There is such an aura about him and I love his sense of humor, also, there is so much gentle mischief in his eyes when he recounts stories from his childhood. Truly he exudes such peace and simple happiness.

Do you think he has given up all hope of Tibet gaining back its independence? Something tells me he has now accepted that this might not happen in his lifetime. Still, the dream is being carried by the younger generation of Tibetans, I hope so much their dream comes true.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Hollydolly said...

Dear Sweet Anjali
I think one of the things I too love about His Holiness is his sense of humour. This never fails to come through. The peace and happiness he exudes has a way of enveloping all who are in his presence.

I do think that he has accepted that Tibet will not be free from China; he is more concerned with the freedom of his people to be able to keep their culture and to be free to practice their religion with no harsh consequences. I am sure that one day he hopes that he will be allowed back into Tibet, but for the foreseeable future that is not likely to happen. The Tibetans are wonderfully warm
and friendly, they also have a great sense of laughter. When I think of how they are being terrorized within their own country, my heart aches for them. I thank the Buddha daily that I am openly free to love and follow his teachings, visit my temple and not have to worry that I will be beaten or worse.

Please remember these beautiful people in your prayers…

Warm Hugs….Sylvia.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...

So cool!!!! How wonderful that he, as your spiritual leader, did not disappoint you. It sounds as if you felt enriched and renewed to your faith - wonderful!!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Nanditha Prabhu said...

you are indeed blessed to have heard from ur spiritual guru! I know personally how enlightening and rejuvenating the experience can be! This is my first visit here and I am happy i chanced upon ur blog. I came here from my grandma's blog "khayals"!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home